No More Mr. Nice Guy Online Support Group  

Go Back   No More Mr. Nice Guy Online Support Group > Discussion > Prospering in Challenging Economic Times

Old April 22nd, 2012, 03:20 PM

Driver has two gold stars
Looks like a great start to the week:

1. Freak wind/rain storm hit the area - this lifted off a few shingles and now the roof is soaked. Water got in the attic. Insurance *should* take care of this, but at a $500 deductible.

2. While working on my wife's car, noticed green fluid dripping - yup, got an antifreeze leak, looks like its from the radiator. Based on how its located, this does not look to be an easy fix.

3. Kids car started making noise this weekend - googled and researched the sound, all evidence points to a piston skirt blown - major engine repairs will be needed.

Emergency savings wouldn't even come close to the engine repairs. I'm going to need that for the roof and wife's car.

Right back in the shitter.

Edit: I have no idea how I'm supposed to lead through this.

Last edited by Driver; April 22nd, 2012 at 06:19 PM..
Old April 22nd, 2012, 06:51 PM
Oracle of Masculinity

Phrack has five gold starsPhrack has five gold starsPhrack has five gold starsPhrack has five gold starsPhrack has five gold starsPhrack has five gold stars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver View Post
I have no idea how I'm supposed to lead through this.
Just face it and do your best.

Robert Louis Stevenson: Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.

Tyler Durden: Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM2010 View Post
Just face it and do your best.
Depression hates a moving target, so I got moving.

Decide, plan, act.

1. Called insurance agent. Will hear from adjuster later in the week.

2. Found brand new radiator is only $100 - I figure I'm fairly mechanical, this may take a chunk out of my day, but it will be a learning experience.

3. Kids car is still driveable. Taking it to the dealer to confirm the diagnosis. If its worst case scenario, she can drive it till it dies - could be tomorrow, could be in another year. Meanwhile, get working on looking into another car. Put the word out there I'm looking to spend no more than $2000 on used beater. Kid will graduate college in another year, so a beater should hold until then.

I hate getting swamped with everything at once.
Old April 24th, 2012, 11:59 AM
O.S.G. Veteran

Dadtoall has five gold stars
Quote:
Depression hates a moving target, so I got moving.

Decide, plan, act.

1. Called insurance agent. Will hear from adjuster later in the week.

2. Found brand new radiator is only $100 - I figure I'm fairly mechanical, this may take a chunk out of my day, but it will be a learning experience.

3. Kids car is still driveable. Taking it to the dealer to confirm the diagnosis. If its worst case scenario, she can drive it till it dies - could be tomorrow, could be in another year. Meanwhile, get working on looking into another car. Put the word out there I'm looking to spend no more than $2000 on used beater. Kid will graduate college in another year, so a beater should hold until then.

I hate getting swamped with everything at once.
Good deal on the radiator. I was going to say call a mechanic; one time I needed a radiator and my mechanic was able to buy and replace it for less than if I had bought one and installed it myself. Also, as long as you are in there, replace the cheap and hard to access parts like hoses and thermostat.

As far as the kid's car, have you priced a used engine? If your car is in otherwise good shape, it might be wiser to spend 2k on a replacement engine rather than on a dicey used car.

Also, thinking larger, what about asking your daughter to chip in for the repair? Who is paying for gas, repairs, maintenance? Even $10 a week until the car dies will make a big dent in repair / replacement cost and teach a good lesson that putting gas in the car is only a piece of the cost.
Old April 24th, 2012, 04:45 PM

Thanks, Dadtoall...

1. Yeah, I know when you're in there deep, replace everything while you can. I'm pricing hoses as well, so this looks to be a fairly inexpensive fix.

2. Which, of course, creates Murphy's Law. The insurance agent called back, adjuster will not even bother due to the roof not being covered. From what they explained, since the roof is over 30 years old and past its life expectancy, it wouldn't fall under my insurance. Now if a tree hit it or half of it was blown off in a tornado, that's another story.

I grabbed a pack of shingles and roof muck and nails and did temp repairs myself. A little scary staring straight down 30'....but it'll hold until I get estimates on a new roof. Looks like minimal damage, hopefully I got it in time and I won't get too banged on the cost. Its only about 1000 sq/ft.

3. As for the kids car - she already pitches in on so much other shit (college tuition, books, gas for the car, clothes, food)....and its a catch-22. She needs the car to pay for all this - no car, no job. The car is solid all around, so I would really hate to part with it. I've been doing the jy search and come across anything from 1k to 3k. Dealer says they can put in a new one around 4k - not what I'm willing to spend.

However, we still need to see what it is. As I said earlier, all signs point to a blown piston. However, I've read that there are minor issues that mirror this problem. I just need two years, lol - when she graduates with that fancy degree and can buy her own damn car.

If anything, I'm getting one hell of a learning experience.
Old April 24th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Oracle of Masculinity

chevy1947 has five gold starschevy1947 has five gold starschevy1947 has five gold starschevy1947 has five gold stars
dont you just love insurance?

most people never notice, they have a minor problem and something happens and the insurance company writes the check.

Have it be a major problem ( I had one in 1987 / very major ) then you find out what the insurance policy really covers and what those odd words really mean.

You also get to meet the adjuter called the asp, usually the bitch from hell who does not give a crap and you feel like you are begging for money.

I am not trying to hi-jack the thread but I want to warn guys on one very
important thing that can be on your insurance with your home or building.

Its called co-insurance

it works like this, lets say you have a house and you bought it at 100K and today its worth 200K and the contents when you moved in were 20K and now because of new things, electronics etc. its worth 40K

now maybe you did not increase your coverage.

diaster, your house has a major damage and you lose contents.

The estimate to fix the house 30K and replace the damaged contents is 10K

Think your insurance company will write a check for 40 K

Maybe or maybe a sharp adjuster will invoke the co-insurance clause and odds are there is one in the policy unless you pay extra.

you see the insurance company will say you had only insured the home and contents for 1/2 of their real value and that means you are assuming 1/2 of the risk. now we will pay the full amount if the loss was total but we are only going to pay our share ( 50% ) of the damage because you chose to under insure the home and contents thus you accept 50% of the liability.

Trust me it can happen.

Oh I had the same roof and when the adjuster left it would have been easier to write the insurance company a check.

Find your self respect, if you do not respect yourself
why would anybody else respect you?

unlike fine wine unresolved problems do not get better with age

A wife or girlfriend like a husband or boyfriend can
be changed or replaced your children are yours for
life don't forget them in your recovery
Old April 25th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Integration Crusader

fishhead has five gold starsfishhead has five gold stars
2 huricanes in 7 years. Insurance is a necessary evil. My home insurance just went up last month upping my mortagage (escrow) about $40 / month. I've always paid a little extra on my principal every month but that cuts into what I can do.

My home insurance has increased nearly 50% in 7 years, and I've never used it. God I hate insurance companies.

A roof on a 1000 sq. ft house is going to run about $3k - if you don't have any major issues. Be careful with roofing companies, my experience they are the worst. We are putting a new roof on my volunteer fire department station ($7.5k on about 3k sq ft) and it is turning into a goat screw. One thing I learned in that process is that even if shingles are rated for 20 years they are really only good for about 15, 30 years then about 22-25 years.

There are good days and there are bad days, and this is one of them.
Old April 25th, 2012, 10:02 PM

Fishhead, you hit the nail on the head - insurance companies suck a dick.

You got the estimate right, too. I had two quotes so far - one for a major reroof, removing every shingle and plywood and starting completely from scratch. I thought this to be overkill - especially at $7000. I had an offer from a guy who would just reshingle, new over old (he did several in our development and came highly recommended by the neighbors) for 3K. Said he would use lifetime shingles, too. I'll have to inspect the roof to see if there's any damage, otherwise reshingling seems the way to go.

The good news is that my insurance company pissed me off to the point where I went and talked to a friend of mine who is a top agent for another competitive insurance company. He wrote me an identical car/home insurance policy that is HALF what I'm being charged now. I got the friend discount. I really hate mixing business with friendship, but in this case it'll help.

Mentioned my car issue to a friend at work - he said, "hey, talk to the secretary, her husband does this shit for a living". Gave him a call and told him what's going on with the car, may need a new engine - he said, "oh hells yeah, I replace that style a few times a year - its my specialty - my going rate on a total replacement with labor is $1400 guaranteed for a year".

I wanna help with this motor. I think it'll help with my being more of a man. I'm already mechanical due to my line of work...looks like something I'd like to get dirty with. I already change my own oil and brakes, why not extend the experience?
Old April 25th, 2012, 10:43 PM
Oracle of Masculinity

chevy1947 has five gold starschevy1947 has five gold starschevy1947 has five gold starschevy1947 has five gold stars
between business, personal, auto and health care my premiums have gone
through the roof.

Even unemployment and state disability contributions are at all time highs.

I am with you guys, I wish there was something simple.

On a positive note I changed agents and saved 4800 on auto then the company that insured the building did not want to renew so the next best
so so policy I could get was an increase of 8200.00. happy on the autos, gave back on the building.

Old April 27th, 2012, 07:43 AM
O.S.G. Veteran

Quote:
As for the kids car - she already pitches in on so much other shit (college tuition, books, gas for the car, clothes, food)....and its a catch-22. She needs the car to pay for all this - no car, no job. The car is solid all around, so I would really hate to part with it. I've been doing the jy search and come across anything from 1k to 3k. Dealer says they can put in a new one around 4k - not what I'm willing to spend.
Sorry to hear about all that stuff going on.

Regarding the car, I meant to acquire a used engine. Especially with Japanese cars, used engines tend to be widely available and fairly reasonable.

For instance, I have an older Japanese sedan with an engine that runs well but burns oil and needs to be replaced. Even it if runs well, burning oil will foul the emissions system, then the car will not pass the smog check and is no longer drivable. It's just another thing that gets worse the longer you leave it.

I checked with my mechanic, and a fairly low mileage replacement engine would cost around $2k. That includes the engine itself, installation labor; and a new water pump, belts, seals, and hoses to forestall future problems (if I remember correctly). Reasonable to get several more years out of an otherwise solid car.

Another alternative is to have your engine rebuilt. The issue there is making sure you get high quality replacement engine internal parts.

I would never pay the dealer for a new engine. The markup on parts is so high I can't see how it would be cost effective except for a newer car.
Old April 27th, 2012, 07:56 AM
O.S.G. Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy1947 View Post
you see the insurance company will say you had only insured the home and contents for 1/2 of their real value and that means you are assuming 1/2 of the risk. now we will pay the full amount if the loss was total but we are only going to pay our share ( 50% ) of the damage because you chose to under insure the home and contents thus you accept 50% of the liability.

Trust me it can happen.
Absolutely true. You are subject to that downward adjustment if you are not insured for at least 80% of the home's value.

The real pisser is that an insurance agent will come through and give you a nice sounding quote, but you don't know that he has lowballed you on the home value to do so. I busted one of these guys, who admitted that it was the homeowner's responsibility to ensure adequate coverage.

So, in other words, if I accepted his word that the insurance policy was adequate, then have a problem and find out it's not, tough shit on me.

Be careful.
Old April 27th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Oracle of Masculinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadtoall View Post
Absolutely true. You are subject to that downward adjustment if you are not insured for at least 80% of the home's value.

The real pisser is that an insurance agent will come through and give you a nice sounding quote, but you don't know that he has lowballed you on the home value to do so. I busted one of these guys, who admitted that it was the homeowner's responsibility to ensure adequate coverage.

So, in other words, if I accepted his word that the insurance policy was adequate, then have a problem and find out it's not, tough shit on me.

Be careful.
This is one bit of advice I think everybody should remember.

When the salesman is telling you all the great things about what he is selling you, and how they are the best company and the price quote is great there is one very very important thing you tend to overlook:

Its never what the salesman tells you its what is not said or talked about

Then something happens and you hear from the adjuster oh that is not covered because of the third phase of the moon.

more often than not, especially in business its what is not said that tends to be the most important.

Know what you want or the questions you need to ask before writing the check.

Old April 28th, 2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadtoall View Post

I checked with my mechanic, and a fairly low mileage replacement engine would cost around $2k. That includes the engine itself, installation labor; and a new water pump, belts, seals, and hoses to forestall future problems (if I remember correctly). Reasonable to get several more years out of an otherwise solid car.

Another alternative is to have your engine rebuilt. The issue there is making sure you get high quality replacement engine internal parts.

I would never pay the dealer for a new engine. The markup on parts is so high I can't see how it would be cost effective except for a newer car.
Yeah, screw the dealer. I've been in contact with the guy from work who will get the ball rolling for me and have it done in about a week. $1400 for an engine is pretty good considering I spent $800 two years ago on new tires all around. Its a Jeep, so its a very common engine. I've been putting as much coin away as I can, so I'll be able to swing this - but just barely.

Damn, that would sure be nice to put all that towards my total debt load. I could bang out a few bottom dwellers on that debt chart. :-(

Could always sell it after the engine swap and make a profit :-)

I'm gonna dig a little deeper into insurance - those were some helpful tips.